One 3 1/2 lb chicken (3lb of chicken breasts may be used if preferred)
6 sliced scotch bonnet peppers (jalapenos may be used if scotch bonnet peppers are unavailable)
- Thyme 2 Tbsp.
- Ground allspice 2 Tbsp.
- Garlic, finely chopped 8 Cloves
- Medium onions 3 , finely choppe
- Sugar 2 Tbsp.
- Salt 2 Tbsp.
- Ground black pepper 2 Tsp.
- Ground cinnamon
- Olive oil 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce 1/2 cup
- Juice of one lime
- Orange juice 1 cup
- White vinegar 1 cup
- Chopping the onion, garlic and peppers chop the onions, garlic and peppers. These do not need to be chopped too fine as they will be liquidized by the blender.
- Making the marinade Blend all of the ingredients (excluding the chicken) in a blender to make the jerk sauce.
- Cutting the raw chicken Cut the chicken up in to 4 pieces.
- Preparing the meat Rub the sauce in to the meat, saving some for basting and dipping later.
- Leave the chicken in the fridge to marinade overnight.
- Cook the chicken Bake in the oven for 30 minutes; turn the meat then bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Grill the meat slowly until cooked, turning regularly. Baste with some of the remaining marinade whilst cooking. For best results, cook it over a charcoal barbeque (ideally over a rack of pimento wood).
- Serving: Cutting the raw chicken Chop each quarter chicken portion in to 5 or 6 smaller pieces using a heavy cleaver.
- Tip: Use a wooden spoon (or something similar) to hold the chicken in place whilst chopping and NOT YOUR HAND (you will be chopping with enough pressure to cut through bone!!!)