800 grams of chicken cut into pieces (preferably boneless)
- Slightly sour yoghurt (optional) 1 tablespoon(s)
- Vinegar or lemon juice 1 tablespoon(s)
- Salt to taste
- Onion chopped and made into a paste (opt)
- Each of ginger, garlic pastes 2 teaspoon(s)
- A few drops of edible orange-red color (opt)
- Each of coriander, cumin and red chilli powders 1 teaspoon(s)
For the Gravy
- Tomatoes chopped 4 large
- Butter 4 tablespoons
- Fresh cream 1 tablespoon(s)
- Salt and sugarto taste
- Each of coriander, cumin, red chilli and black pepper powders 1 teaspoon(s)
- Each of finely chopped ginger and green chillies 2 teaspoon(s)
Melted butter, fresh cream and finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Prick holes and make cuts in the chicken pieces. Mix well the ingredients for the marinade and rub into the chicken pieces. Let it marinate for a few hours, overnight if possible for best results.
- Heat half the butter on medium level in a heavy-bottomed pan and put in the chicken along with the marinade. cover and cook for about 25 minute(s) or till the chicken is fully cooked. After the liquids have evaporated, stir fry the chicken for some time in the residual fat.
- Heat the remaining butter in a saucepan and add the red chilli, coriander, cumin and black pepper powders. Fry for a few seconds. Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, and salt; and cook uncovered on medium level for about 7 minutes till the puree thickens and the fat separates. Stir in the beaten cream and reduce the heat to low.
- Add the chicken, chopped ginger and green chillies to the simmering gravy. Sprinkle salt to taste if needed. Mix well. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes or until the curry is thoroughly heated through.
- Just before serving pour melted butter over the curry. Garnish with a swirl of fresh cream and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- TIP: For a thicker and richer gravy cashew nut paste (soak cashew nuts in water for an hour or so and grind them) can be added while making the gravy in step 2… Fry it along with the spice powders and then proceed as above.
- Serve hot with Ghee Rice, white rice or Indian bread (Roti).